Saturday, July 28, 2012




The Forgotten Garden  by Kate Morton

This book had me intrigued right from the beginning.  A young child is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia.  She ends up on the dock, again alone.  The dock master sees the young girl and notices she is with no one. No one seems to be coming for her either.  Of course he can’t just leave her there so he takes her home with him.  He and his wife decide to take her in and raise her as their own.  She thrives there.  After much debate on the part of her parents, they decide on her twenty first birthday to tell her the truth.  Her whole perception of herself shatters and she becomes obsessed about where she comes from and makes it her life’s mission to find her roots.  She gets close but it takes her granddaughter to finish the task.

Not being adopted I found this very hard to believe so I would love to have feedback.  Here is a woman who has had a great life.  She has a great family that loves her and a full life in front of her.  Why then does she feel lost?  Why does she feel she no longer is who she has been all along?  Why does she feel the need to give up what she has?  Isn’t everything she has accomplished just as important?  I would love some feed back so please click on comments and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I read this book last year and really enjoyed it. I loved how the history of the generations of women was so complex and complicated. This was one book that I didn't want to end.

    ReplyDelete