Wednesday, July 18, 2012





Hollywood, MD    Sunday Travel Section

I was reading the Washington Post last week which I try to read every Sunday.  Several sections of the Post are my favorite.  I love the travel section because I am thinking that one day soon I will get a week or more off and my husband will be able to take a break at the same time and we will go on a great vacation. The day is coming.

So I am reading the travel section and one of the articles is about Hollywood, MD.  Yes there is a Hollywood, MD.  It is located about 50 miles southeast of Washington DC off of Maryland Route 5.  Our adopted family and great friends have a house there that has been in their family for a long time and we were lucky enough to spend many weekends during the summer with them having a great time.  There is nothing like taking your morning coffee out to the dock and enjoying the peace of a summer morning.
One of the things I missed when going there was Sotterly Plantation which is apparently a living history site.  The Post did a good job talking about its owners and one of the things I found interesting was that the front of the house was facing the river.  I noticed this about Mount Vernon as well.  The reason given was that the river at that time was the road.  Much of the traffic was on the river.  Makes sense to me.  Next time I am in Hollywood, Sotterley is the first thing to see on my to do list.

One of the other things mentioned in the article was Clarke’s Landing Restaurant.  I really enjoyed eating here, casual dining with great crab cakes and great margaritas.  If you end up going, get a table on the deck facing the water.  It is a great place to watch the sun set.   www.clrestaurant.com/


Sotterly Plantation


No comments:

Post a Comment