Saturday, December 8, 2012



A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Once again I was faced with a long drive.  Since I do not have satellite radio, I am at the mercy of the local radio stations that fade in and out as I move from listening area to listening area and state to state.  To pass the time I have been listening to audio books.  What a lifesaver from boredom.  So I am looking for a good audio book, and I run my hand along this shelf containing these books when I find my hand stopping on Discovery of Witches.  Coincidence I think not, however it does make me question why I keep being drawn to books about witches and vampires.  One of my recent blogs was on The Lace Reader, if you haven’t seen it yet go take a look. I just finished the three audio books by Nora Roberts that was the Morrigan Trilogy again Witches and Vampires. 

Maybe I am picking these types of books because of all the hype around the Twilight Saga although I am sick and tired of the whole KPat thing.   I never was a big fan of Sedrick from Harry Potter( I was however, a little sad when he got snuffed out in one of the movies) and Kristen Stewart is just gloomy.  Or maybe it is because I am just drawn to the whole thing having wicken acquaintances.

This book contends that the human race does not exist alone.  Other creatures are here along with us which includes witches, vampires and demons.  The story starts when scholaras part of her reseacrh calls up a "bewitched alchemical manuscript" at the Bodleian library in Oxford. No one has seen this manuscript for many many years.   The discovery of this manuscript stirs things up ALOT!  This book is interesting and fun especially around this time of year when things are so busy and you just want a book that is light reading.  

Be aware that this book is part of a trilogy. I am reading the second book now and will keep you posted.  The second book is the one below.








No comments:

Post a Comment