Sunday, December 30, 2012



Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

This book is the second book of a trilogy.  The first book was The Discovery of Witches which I spoke about in a previous blog. Just for a summation of the book: Diana Bishop a witch and researcher on alchemy discovers a long lost manuscript.  This manuscript is shrouded in magic and is supposed to explain how humans, witches, and demons and vampires share many genetic similarities.  It also could reveal the secret of immortality. 

Trilogies can be good or bad.  Writing a trilogy or any series regardless of the number of books included in the series gives the author the opportunity to develop characters and add new ones. 

Many authors when writing a series will write so that each book can stand on its own.  What I mean is each book has its own beginning, middle and ending with an emphasis on ending.  Deborah Harkness chose not to end her book cleanly.  Instead she just ended the first book with no ending which of course leaves the reader wanting more.  There is nothing worse than a cliff hanger like that.  But, I thought to myself, I am lucky because the second book is out already.  Thus, I excitedly picked up Shadow of Night. 

When I started writing my blog, it was to recommend books that I have read, liked or loved and would recommend to people who would ask me what to read. I think I will be changing my mind. After all changing direction is a writer's prerogative right? So I am going to start with this book.  I picked it up thinking some of the ideas written in the first book would be picked up in the second book and developed.  Instead she chose to take us back to 16th century Europe and resolve nothing. I must admit, however that the thought of being able to travel back in time knowing you can return to the present is very thought provoking and would be a wonderful adventure..  It would be great to actually see for yourself how people lived in the past rather than just reading about them.  Maybe if I can borrow Dorothy's ruby red slippers they can work their magic and take me travelling back. HA! 

To add insult to injury this book is long, I mean really long.  One thing the author has succeeded in doing is whetting my curiosity about the main characters Diana Bishop and Mathew Riordan and what will happen to them.  I might have to read the last few chapters of the last book. Unfortunately the book is being written as we speak.  The author has no estimated time frame for finishing this book citing artistic issues.  She does assure her readers that she definitely knows what is going to happen in this last book she just needs to write it. So stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,Susan. I read the first book, and found my reactions very mixed. It was a combination of excrutiatingly dull ("He moved the napkin from the left side of his pate to the right side, and I thought, is it possible for anyone to move a napkin so gracefully?"), the ludicrous ("He stood across the library from me with only his face visible, glowing in the light. I saw that his shoes were thoroughly polished."), and the (actually) very exciting (the climactic scene in the runied castle was pretty darn good).

    Against my better judgement, I decided I'd read the second book. Your review agrees with a number of others I've read. Hm. I think I do have other things to read.

    Cheers! and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just re-read your comments and I was wondering, Do you plan to read the last book of this trilogy? Even though I really didn't care for the second book I still wonder how it all ends. I might have to pick it up just to read the last few chapters and skip the rest of the story. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete