Saturday, November 24, 2012


The Casual Vacancy  J.K Rowling

 

Hi Everyone.  I am back.  Work has been crazy busy and was temporarily tapping into my brain power.  Things have settled down a bit and so I am able to read again without falling asleep after a page or two.

Harry Potter, two words that have become synonymous with seven excellent books and eight movies.   These so called “children’s books “ captured both the attention and heart of children and adults alike.  I remember pre-ordering the 7th Harry Potter book from Amazon.com and when it arrived at my house I removed it from the box and put it on my night stand.  It took me several days to start it only because I knew once I did, I would not be able to stop and once I finished there would be no more.  It was thrilling to see how it ended and sad that these were the final chapters.  I still am overwhelmed by the brilliance of everything created by Rowling in the Harry Potter series.  She created a different world with well- developed characters; places that we wish were real, new languages and lots of spells to learn.

I watched several interviews that Rowling gave.  One was with the iconic Oprah. You do not mess with Oprah! Oprah asked if she planned to write another book and Rowling gave the impression that she really didn’t have any plans for other books or for that matter any desire to write other books.  But once a writer always a writer and so there is The Casual Vacancy.

Right from the start I found the name both intriguing and confusing. Rowling I guess must have found the title unique because she defines what a Casual Vacancy is before you even start the book.  The story starts with the death of a local politician which allows her to introduce her characters to the reader.  Again Rowling is good at developing characters.  In fact, Rowling is a great writer period. 

I have a reading rule .  The rule is that I read the first fifty pages.  If the story has not captured my attention, I am done with it.  I sometimes break my fifty page rule.  I did when I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  I was glad then so I decided to carry on after fifty pages of this book after all it is J.K. Rowling. The problem that I had with the book is the story is very slow to develop and it doesn’t really pick up much as you get deeper into the book.  I didn't like the characters, they were dull and boring. It was certainly not Harry Potter. I guess that it is kind of unfair to judge the book this way but I can't help it.  When you have read seven books by an author that you just couldn't put down there is a certain expectation that the next book written will be as good as the previous ones.  This one just didn't have the WOW factor that I had come to expect from J.K. Rowling.  Let me know what you all think of the book and if I am being unfair by judging her on previously written books and not on the merit of this one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment