Thursday, October 4, 2012


 
The Next Chapter  By Patricia Sullivan Washington Post

 

TGFL.  Thank God for the Library.  I am a very heavy user of the library system.  As you know I love to read and when I am in super reading mode I read 2 – 3 books a week.  Some are worth mentioning, some are not.  I give a book around 50 pages if I can’t get past that I don’t bother to finish and I don't bother talking about them. 

As many of you know, I have an e-reader, it’s a kindle and between amazon.com and the library I am constantly downloading books.  As good as the library is with their e books I often find that I am one of many waiting for a book to download.  So I find myself turning back to the printed version of the books.  Oh how I missed the feel of books in my hands so it is nice to mix it up between digital media and an actual book.  I find between digital downloads, actual books and of course purchases made at Amazon.com and other retail establishments my book needs are very well satisfied.

Today, Thursday I read the article in the Post entitled The Next Chapter  which was all about the library and everything it has to offer.  It was a really interesting article.  As everyone well knows the library has evolved from a place that you can check out a book to one that is a source of various forms of electronic media.  The article points out that 4.4 million people used the internet and other resources at the library to help them with their job search.

The Library is the perfect partner for our public schools.  Actually in many cases it is an extension providing resources for research.  Working in the computer field and teaching end users, I have to say kudos to the librarians who are making the effort to learn the skills needed to use and show patrons how to use the various electronic media.   Marian the librarian from the Music Man days is long gone. Many librarians today train extensively in elctronic media.

For some the library is a weekly ritual.  I know it has always been that way for my parents.  Often after dinner our family room became a reading room.  My parents are so pro library that they did a public service announcement for their library.  It made it onto you tube.  It’s goofy but it is from the heart. Check it out. Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGcP4i1quoI

Many kudos to the library for keeping up with the times and providing materials in some of the “newer” formats.  I know that many patrons of our library system find it difficult to physically go to a library. Downloading books or audio books is a great way for them to still enjoy reading.  I love the fact that many senior citizens I have spoken with said that their kids gave it to them during the holiday season and they like them.  It’s funny they always seem surprised. 
  New Kindle fire HD
  Kindle Fire
 

No comments:

Post a Comment