Saturday, October 20, 2012




Calico Joe  by  John Grisham

Growing up in New York, baseball wasn’t a sport it was THE sport.  After all we had two teams the New York Mets and the New York Yankees.  My grandfather was a huge baseball fan and I was a huge fan of my grandfather.  In fact, as far as I was concerned the moon revolved around him.  He use to sit on the couch listening to the game on a small transistor radio and I was right next to him.  As I grew up I got the chance to see the game in person which was so much better because as many of you know the pace of a baseball game can be really slow.  But in person it really was an experience.

In those days my best friend lived right next door and it felt like I was in her house more than mine.  Therefore, I adopted her two older brothers and they would occasionally take us to Shea Stadium to watch the Mets.  I love you guys for that.  I actually got to meet Number 7 Ed Kranepool granted it was after he had left the Mets but who cares.  Even though the Mets lost more than they won it was still neat to be there.

The Yankees were a different story.  Everyone loved the Yankees in New York, even when they were not having the best season.  I remember going to a twilight double header with my youth group and when I walked into the stadium it felt so incredibly alive.  And it was not the fans that had shown up that evening. When you were in Yankee Stadium you could feel the presence of those who were there before you.  The Old Yankee Stadium was a living breathing history museum.  Baseball back then was all about the fans, the players and the game. I mourn the loss of the old stadium.

Recently I went to see the Yankees play the Orioles at Camden Yard.  Camden Yard is a beautiful venue but it just didn’t feel the same.  The spirits of the men who played and made the game great are just not there and I miss them.

Anyway John Grisham has written a book called Calico Joe that I feel captures the essence of baseball the way it was.  It is a departure from his usual legal thrillers like The Firm and the King of Torts.  The book centers on this young boy Paul, his father a pitcher for the New York Mets and a young ball player who the Cubs bring up from the minors. Joe Castle or Calico Joe as he was affectionately named became the boy wonder of baseball setting all kinds of records.   When Paul’s Dad pitches a game Calico Joe plays, things get cracking and I really can’t tell you more or I will give away the entire story.  All I can say is that I read the book in a couple of hours and liked the story. If you grew up loving baseball I think you will enjoy this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment